[PVE-User] General networking question

VIDAL, Thomas (Bioversity-France) t.vidal at cgiar.org
Fri Oct 19 14:31:14 CEST 2012

Dear Fernando,

First thanks for your quick answer. For the moment my question is more
about knowledge, but as I said I am not confortable with networking
issue, and so don't want to create problems. In this way I am feeling
that agregation will be simpler. For example when I want to create a new
bridge with the same gateway as 1 or 2 other bridge it telling me that
cannot be possible ! So I let the gateway blank and for the moment it
works ! :-)

One thing is that you (and wiki) wrote VLANs. But do we need using VLAN
is the case of bonding ? On my switch I can agregate several ports
without VLAN ID etc... am I wrong ?

All the best and many thanks.

Thomas

Le 19/10/2012 14:24, Fernando Sierra a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> proxmox has flexibility for ports. you could use a bridge or bonding
> ports. If you want to connect your VM to others VLANs you coud use the
> "VLAN Tag" and works perfectly.
>
> Have you got some problem? or is olny for knowledge.
>
> Regards!
> ---
>
> Fernando Sierra, SysAdmin at Ceta-Ciemat (Trujillo/Spain)
>

> El 19/10/12 14:19, VIDAL, Thomas (Bioversity-France) escribió:
>> Dear Proxmox users,
>>
>> I am in the list since 2 months and using Proxmox (my current config
>> at the bottom) since 3 months.... so a newbie !
>> I set up several VMs without any problem. But since 3 months now I am
>> a little bit confused regarding all networks settings (even after
>> read the wiki, networking is not my cup of tea).
>> I have 2 network cards with on each network card 4 network ports, so
>> 8 physical networks available. And I have VMs for LAN and public VMs
>> (web server for example).
>> For the moment I created bridges for each network.
>> I know that we can agregate (bond I assume) network ports.
>>
>> So my question is :
>> In the case of multiple network ports, is it better/simple to manage
>> them as 2 bonded ports or to keep bridges (flexibility ?)
>>
>> Sorry for this basic and general question...
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Thomas

Thomas VIDAL (t.vidal at cgiar.org)
Computer Technology Department

BANANAS BIOVERSITY
http://bananas.bioversityinternational.org

INIBAP
Parc Scientifique Agropolis II
1990 Bd de la Lironde
34980 Montferrier sur Lez - France
Tel: (33)467612907
Fax: (33)467610334
Skype : tvidal-inibap

Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

The software said "Requires Windows 2000, Windows XP, or better,..."
So I installed Linux Ubuntu !