[PVE-User] NAT issues

Flavio Stanchina flavio.stanchina at ies.it
Sat Oct 20 16:02:58 CEST 2012

On 19/10/2012 18:09, Samir Faci (Dev) wrote:
> I didn't realize that QEmu segregated each NAT-ted VM into it's own
> network.  That makes more sense, and it does explain
> why multiple machines with different mac address would get the same IP
> address.
>
> Though I was surprised at the fact that creating multiple nic on the
> same VM still assigned the same IP address to both
> interfaces.

Unless you explicitly configure a different subnet, yes. Remember, each one
is a completely distinct virtual network, bu they are all configured in the
same way. It wouldn't make much sense to have multiple NATed network
interfaces in the same VM, even if you configure them differently.

What you probably want in your setup is multiple bridges not associated
with a physical interface, each on its own private subnet, with a firewall
on the host handling forwarding between them. In this way you can configure
if and how each VM sees the rest of your network or other VMs.

--
Flavio Stanchina
Informatica e Servizi