[PVE-User] Cloning a VM

Muhammad Yousuf Khan sirtcp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:09:53 CET 2012

for me what works the best is actual image file (*.raw)

run this command to find your's

find /./ -name  '*.raw'

(above command with single quotes)

copy the .raw file that you want to clone. to any location that you
want. via using "cp' command  to any local folder if you think you
have got enough space. otherwise you can also store the *.raw file on
remote server with easy SSH Mount Utility (read "sshfs" very easy and
handy)

once you got that *.raw image stored somewhere.
 now you can create a VM of same size and replace the current *.raw
with the copied one. it works for me i hope it will work for you too.

qmrestore utility is also a good option to make clones. however one of
the above is a second route to your need. so one way or another end
goal is to make clone a easy way. i dont know which one is easier but
i like the mentioned one because by this you will get a change to
learn more about Proxmox.

Thanks.