[PVE-User] Backup Image Size

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Mon Sep 10 15:36:47 CEST 2012

On 9/10/2012 7:34 AM, Christian Cartwright wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In one perticular VM I have running server 2008 r2 the os reports that
> the drive is using 40gb(approx) but when I do a backup in proxmox the
> image file it creates is 70gb.

How big is the size of the disk image? (Not just in-use component.)

> Why is this? I'm guessing it's because of deleted files in the os maybe?

I'd recommend using SDelete by Mark Russinovich (Sysinternals) to zero
out all unused data on the disk.  This should significantly reduce the
size of the backup. Use the "-z" option.

If others are curious - on Linux, use "zerofree".

-PG