[PVE-User] RAID array performance measuring

Frederic Van Espen frederic.ve at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 10:07:41 CEST 2013

On 08/28/2013 09:34 AM, Frederic Van Espen wrote:
> On 08/28/2013 09:13 AM, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> yes, that can make a difference.
>
> OK. Anyway, the new machine is also running on ext4. The number of
> fsyncs/second is a lot higher there (different controller and disks though)
>
> In the meantime, I've also set up a testing machine with the same type
> of controller, but this time with 4 146GB SAS disks in RAID10.
>
> Results are similar to the other 2 machines:
> FSYNCS/SECOND:     219.32
>
> I've also tried upgrading the controller firmware to the latest version
> on this one, but no change.
>
> Also on an ext3 filesystem, performance is similar:
> FSYNCS/SECOND:     220.11

Also, here's some output from the RAID controller that may be useful to
anyone reading this:
root at vm006:~# arcconf GETCONFIG 1
Controllers found: 1
Controller information
    Controller Status                        : Optimal
    Channel description                      : SAS/SATA
    Controller Model                         : Adaptec 5805
    Controller Serial Number                 : 0D20116046C
    Physical Slot                            : 1
    Temperature                              : 61 C/ 141 F (Normal)
    Installed memory                         : 512 MB
    Copyback                                 : Disabled
    Background consistency check             : Disabled
    Automatic Failover                       : Enabled
    Global task priority                     : High
    Performance Mode                         : Default/Dynamic
    Stayawake period                         : Disabled
    Spinup limit internal drives             : 0
    Spinup limit external drives             : 0
    Defunct disk drive count                 : 0
    Logical devices/Failed/Degraded          : 1/0/0
    SSDs assigned to MaxCache pool           : 0
    Maximum SSDs allowed in MaxCache pool    : 8
    MaxCache Read Cache Pool Size            : 0.000 GB
    MaxCache flush and fetch rate            : 0
    MaxCache Read, Write Balance Factor      : 3,1
    NCQ status                               : Enabled
    Statistics data collection mode          : Enabled
    Controller Version Information
    BIOS                                     : 5.2-0 (18948)
    Firmware                                 : 5.2-0 (18948)
    Driver                                   : 1.1-7 (28000)
    Boot Flash                               : 5.2-0 (18948)
    Controller Battery Information
    Status                                   : Optimal
    Over temperature                         : No
    Capacity remaining                       : 99 percent
    Time remaining (at current draw)         : 1 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes

Logical device information
Logical device number 0
    Logical device name                      :
    RAID level                               : 10
    Status of logical device                 : Optimal
    Size                                     : 279788 MB
    Stripe-unit size                         : 256 KB
    Read-cache mode                          : Enabled
    MaxCache preferred read cache setting    : Enabled
    MaxCache read cache setting              : Disabled
    Write-cache mode                         : Enabled (write-back)
    Write-cache setting                      : Enabled (write-back) when
protected by battery/ZMM
    Partitioned                              : Yes
    Protected by Hot-Spare                   : No
    Bootable                                 : Yes
    Failed stripes                           : No
    Power settings                           : Disabled
    Logical device segment information
    Group 0, Segment 0                       : Present
(Controller:1,Connector:0,Device:0) 3QN0CTNZ00009919EQ3M
    Group 0, Segment 1                       : Present
(Controller:1,Connector:0,Device:1) 3QN1V3AM00009001L1HV
    Group 1, Segment 0                       : Present
(Controller:1,Connector:0,Device:2) 3QN0ATM900009919ELHK
    Group 1, Segment 1                       : Present
(Controller:1,Connector:0,Device:3) 3QN1SDG500009002NPWM

Physical Device information
       Device #0
          Device is a Hard drive
          State                              : Online
          Supported                          : Yes
          Transfer Speed                     : SAS 3.0 Gb/s
          Reported Channel,Device(T:L)       : 0,0(0:0)
          Reported Location                  : Connector 0, Device 0
          Vendor                             : SEAGATE
          Model                              : ST3146356SS
          Firmware                           : 0004
          Serial number                      : 3QN0CTNZ00009919EQ3M
          World-wide name                    : 5000C50004F565A0
          Size                               : 140014 MB
          Write Cache                        : Enabled (write-back)
          FRU                                : None
          S.M.A.R.T.                         : No
          S.M.A.R.T. warnings                : 0
          Power State                        : Full rpm
          Supported Power States             : Full rpm,Powered off
          SSD                                : No
          MaxCache Capable                   : No
          MaxCache Assigned                  : No
       Device #1
          Device is a Hard drive
          State                              : Online
          Supported                          : Yes
          Transfer Speed                     : SAS 3.0 Gb/s
          Reported Channel,Device(T:L)       : 0,1(1:0)
          Reported Location                  : Connector 0, Device 1
          Vendor                             : SEAGATE
          Model                              : ST3146356SS
          Firmware                           : 0005
          Serial number                      : 3QN1V3AM00009001L1HV
          World-wide name                    : 5000C50013613660
          Size                               : 140014 MB
          Write Cache                        : Enabled (write-back)
          FRU                                : None
          S.M.A.R.T.                         : No
          S.M.A.R.T. warnings                : 0
          Power State                        : Full rpm
          Supported Power States             : Full rpm,Powered off
          SSD                                : No
          MaxCache Capable                   : No
          MaxCache Assigned                  : No
       Device #2
          Device is a Hard drive
          State                              : Online
          Supported                          : Yes
          Transfer Speed                     : SAS 3.0 Gb/s
          Reported Channel,Device(T:L)       : 0,2(2:0)
          Reported Location                  : Connector 0, Device 2
          Vendor                             : SEAGATE
          Model                              : ST3146356SS
          Firmware                           : 0004
          Serial number                      : 3QN0ATM900009919ELHK
          World-wide name                    : 5000C50004F55AE0
          Size                               : 140014 MB
          Write Cache                        : Enabled (write-back)
          FRU                                : None
          S.M.A.R.T.                         : No
          S.M.A.R.T. warnings                : 0
          Power State                        : Full rpm
          Supported Power States             : Full rpm,Powered off
          SSD                                : No
          MaxCache Capable                   : No
          MaxCache Assigned                  : No
       Device #3
          Device is a Hard drive
          State                              : Online
          Supported                          : Yes
          Transfer Speed                     : SAS 3.0 Gb/s
          Reported Channel,Device(T:L)       : 0,3(3:0)
          Reported Location                  : Connector 0, Device 3
          Vendor                             : SEAGATE
          Model                              : ST3146356SS
          Firmware                           : 0005
          Serial number                      : 3QN1SDG500009002NPWM
          World-wide name                    : 5000C50013615018
          Size                               : 140014 MB
          Write Cache                        : Enabled (write-back)
          FRU                                : None
          S.M.A.R.T.                         : No
          S.M.A.R.T. warnings                : 0
          Power State                        : Full rpm
          Supported Power States             : Full rpm,Powered off
          SSD                                : No
          MaxCache Capable                   : No
          MaxCache Assigned                  : No

Command completed successfully.