[PVE-User] kvm guest with kexec causing host crash

Frederic Van Espen frederic.ve at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 11:42:52 CEST 2013

Hi,

Yesterday I was validating pve 3.1. I rebooted one of my KVM guests
which is configured to use kexec. This resulted in a kernel crash on the
pve host at the time the kernel was supposed to be started. A call trace
was displayed on the screen of the host and I had to force reset it.

I've since been trying to reproduce but currently I'm unable to.

What I can say however is that loading the new kernel does not work at
all actually. I just see "Starting new kernel", and the machine hangs
indefinitely. I'm not sure if this is related to kvm or there's an issue
on my machine though.

Frederic