[PVE-User] Proxmox on DRBD and OCFS2/GFS

THe_ZiPMaN flavio-pve at zipman.it
Fri Aug 30 01:48:48 CEST 2013

Eneko Lacunza wrote:
> Anyway lately I think that using iSCSI with MD RAID1 (local disk + iscsi
> disk) is "simpler" than DRBD in Primary/Secondary setup.

Uhm.... I don't agree... such a setup is not simpler to manage than drbd
and you don't have the benefits of drbd, such as the fast recovery,
async copies, etc.

Anyway when it comes to drbd I think that the classic LVM solution is
the only one really feasible, correctly working and simple to manage and
troubleshoot. I have 2 such clusters (without any fencing device)
configured as described in the proxmox documentation. If you use care,
create 2 different VGs for the machines on the 2 nodes and keep
everything monitored the setup is really simple and rock solid.

I experienced power outage, broken disks, network connectivity
interruptions but I didn't have any problem with the hosts. A simple
reconnect of the drbd resources did the job.

The only problem I had in 3 years was caused by a single machine that
was running on the wrong host. Upon reconnection that machine storage
got corrupted because old data overwritten new data while the VM was
still powered on, and that fucked all the file system. But it was an
human error, not caused by drbd.

--
Flavio Visentin

A computer is like an air conditioner,