[PVE-User] LVM snapshot && VSS (into VM)

dea dea at corep.it
Thu Jan 24 09:32:47 CET 2013

Hello all !

I use LVM snapshot to backup, freeze and revert VM (each VM has its LVM on SAN).
But....

LVM snapshot freeze the VM at a specific time but into the VM the FS is not
consistent.
I know the modern FS use journal.. and a simple fsck solves the problem.
But... db or ms exchange do not like this treatment.
I can activate VSS into MS VM before create LVM snapshot ? Or can I set the VM
in stable state before activate it ?

The only (stable) solution I found is to shutdow the VM server, create the
snapshot LVM and immediately start it. OK, but it isn't the best solution.

Any idea ?

Very thanks