[PVE-User] ext3 journal issues in VM

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Tue Jul 30 19:49:31 CEST 2013

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:19:21 -0500 (CDT)
Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com> wrote:

> The physical hardware of the system is in perfect working order, with no problems handling the I/O load. Is it possible this use case (large amounts of very small files) is not handled correctly by the virtualization storage layer? At this time I'm using the 'RAW' file format, presented as an IDE disk to the VM.

Have you tried switching disk bus from IDE to virtio or even SATA? A
lot of small files on IDE (no NCQ) would stretch the IDE bus to its
limits.

You should try virtio since this will increase performance immediately
with 15-50% and (I assume SATA or SAS disks on the host providing
storage) will add NCQ since virtio gives direct access to the disk bus.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
Basically my wife was immature.  I'd be at home in the bath and she'd
come in and sink my boats.
		-- Woody Allen