[PVE-User] Does KVM(in proxmox) supports 'UltraSPARC T2 Plus' hardware virtualization extensions?

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpn.cnrs.fr
Mon May 6 22:00:49 CEST 2013

Le 06/05/2013 17:28, Luca Fornasari a écrit :
> Red Hat sources are publicly available and I suppose Proxmox just grab
> the sources of the kernel (and a few other packages) and recompile
> them. Indeed when you "upgrade" a fresh minimal squeeze installation
> you add Proxmox servers in the sources list; and if you just watch at
> the download phase you will see a few packages from proxmox.com
> <http://proxmox.com>

Proxmox uses in fact the openvz kernel, which is based on the RHEL
kernel (6.x) + openvz patches.
Newest version of Debian, Wheezy (just released yesterday), does not
support openvz.

> To answer your question I belive the best virtualization technology
> you can use is KVM/Qemu but doing this with PVE can be an hard task.
> At this point I'd go for libvirt/kvm on Wheezy (just released yesterday).

I don't see where it is hard to use KVM/Qemu with PVE. I am using
exclusively KVM on PVE and the web management interface make it very
easy. With the bare metal install, all you need for that is installed
and configured at once.
If you want to use libvirt/kvm, you better have to do it wirh RHEL, or
at least CentOS, but it will not provides for example a cluster from
scratch to manage your nodes.
For that, you would have to use for example ovirt (clone of RHEVM) but
it is not available directly in CentOS (and much more complex)...

Alain