[PVE-User] Proxmox VE 3.0 RC1 released! - ZFS quick&dirty howto snapshot

Pongrácz István pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Fri May 10 08:47:08 CEST 2013

----------------eredeti üzenet-----------------
Feladó: "Diaolin" diaolin at diaolin.com
Címzett: "Pongrácz István"
Dátum: Fri, 10 May 2013 05:13:20 +0200

> Il 2013-05-09 23:23 Pongrácz István ha scritto:

Hi,

I recommend to setup a test environment (VM could be ok, with several virtual disks to test the zfs, for example 10-12 vms + os disk).

In short:
- install pve as usual
- follow the documents here, it is updated to the latest version: http://pthree.org/2012/04/17/install-zfs-on-debian-gnulinux/
- read this carefully, it will save your time and frustration: http://pthree.org/2013/01/03/zfs-administration-part-xvii-best-practices-and-caveats/

Please note:
- zfsonlinux is really great, and relatively easy to manage. Easy as a pilot can manage a boing 747. In other words, you should play around zfs before deploy in real life environment.
- do not use hw. raid cards (especially in raidXY mode), just cause troubles and could be more expensive
- using ZIL is great, safe to use mirror and not more than 4-8GB
- L2ARC is great, safe to use stripped volumes on several disks (partitions)
- your setup really depends on your real life workload and use case, hard to tell what is the ultimate best solution, which perfects for everybody
- and a lot more things, you will see. It has a learning curve and the benefits are awesome.

Personally I had serious issues with drbd and live migration on software raid, strange and unexplained (by intel professional) hardware raid hot swap issue which cause massive data loss and downtime on the system. Even hours to fsck and data corruption happened. Now I use zfs nearly 10 months on several systems based on pve and I have to tell you, awesome.

Bye,
István