[PVE-User] napp-it and nsf

Andrea Thompson andrea.thompson at lextecny.com
Fri May 17 06:55:22 CEST 2013

Michael Rasmussen <mir at ...> writes:

> On Wed, 1 May 2013 13:38:24 -0300
> Fábio Rabelo <fabio at ...> wrote:
>

> > I just do not know wherre to go ....
> >
> Was does the following give as output (from a client on your network):
> rpcinfo IP_of_napp-it

Then followed by

aptitude install dkms pve-headers-$(uname -r)

    this is needed for dkms to work:

ln -s /lib/modules/2.6.32-10-pve/build /lib/modules/2.6.32-10-pve/source

Maybe someone who knows how to write a patch could submit one and suggest
this be done when kernel is upgraded? Otherwise I think when the Proxmox
kernel upgrades, dkms build may fail if this is not done [ using new
pve-headers ).

then install zfs

aptitude install ubuntu-zfs

finally make sure that zfs is started at system boot, edit /etc/default/zfs

# ZoL userland configuration.

# Run `zfs mount -a` during system start?
# This should be 'no' if zfs-mountall or a systemd generator is available.
ZFS_MOUNT='yes'

kernel upgrade

currently this needs to be done when a kernel upgrade occurs.

    before reboot:

    2.6.32.11 upgrade from 2.6.32.10 did before reboot [ for you would need
to change 2.6.32-11-pve if different version.

aptitude install pve-headers-2.6.32-11-pve
ln -s /lib/modules/2.6.32-11-pve/build /lib/modules/2.6.32-11-pve/source

    this will force modules to be built ( there is probably a better way to
do this , so correct this if you know how to make dkms do the build ).

aptitude reinstall spl-dkms  zfs-dkms

using git

    install these

aptitude install build-essential gawk alien fakeroot zlib1g-dev uuid
uuid-dev libssl-dev parted  pve-headers-$(uname -r)

    get make and install spl

cd /usr/src
git clone https://github.com/zfsonlinux/spl.git
cd spl
./configure
make deb
dpkg -i *.deb
modprobe spl

    get make and install zfs

cd /usr/src
git clone https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs.git
cd zfs
./configure
make deb
dpkg -i *.deb

    make sure module can load

modprobe zfs

    install debs does not do this:

update-rc.d zfs defaults

    note , the deb files made above can be used to install zfs on another
system.

    if there is a pre existing zfs pool then simply use the next line to
recover it. this can happen if you re-install proxmox and have zfs disks
from before.

zpoo  </cman>

    If there is a need or want I could set up a repository with pre build
debs. Just send an email .

Creating Pools and Filesystems

use raidz2 or mirror in main data systems.
Create a raidz pool named “tank”

zpool create  -f -o ashift=12 tank  raidz  /dev/sda  /dev/sdb  /dev/sdc
/dev/sdd  /dev/sde  /dev/sdf  /dev/sdg  /dev/sdh

    note this happened to 2 or 3 disks the 1-st time. these were disks from
a 3-ware raid.