[PVE-User] actual sockets/cores vs PVE emulated sockets/cores

Muhammad Yousuf Khan sirtcp at gmail.com
Sat May 18 10:51:14 CEST 2013

we have few servers and actual specs are, 2 sockets and and 4 core each
with hyperthread enabled.
2 to 3 weeks back i mistakenly change number of socket to 4 instead of
cores for a virtual machine which i was using for some testing purposes.

and amazingly when i check the processors count i learn that proxmox/KVM
has got the capability of emulating sockets/processors.

now i am a bit confuse. and my question is. what is the procedure of
handling physical processor in KVM. is it auto or we can manage it?

for example as cores and sockets are emulated.i have a physical machine
containing 2 sockets and 4 core each. and i want my KVM application to do
multitasking. or in other-words equally distribute jobs among two physical
processors and i believe that this will not be happening as it seems all
sockets are emulated and KVM is not even bothering the second processor to
process jobs.

is my understanding correct?

is there a way to physically assign a KVM machine to a physical processor
and distribute the jobs among two.

or KVM is intelligent enough to distribute jobs among two processors?

Thanks,

MYK