[PVE-User] Backup retention policy

Steve Audia saudia at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 22 11:15:38 CEST 2013

If it's just the rotation part you need, you could handle that on the
backup server side with a short script, copying the dailies into weekly
folders, weeklies into monthly folders, etc.

I know, rolling a custom script is something some want to avoid, but this
particular script would be very straight forward.  I've been using this
guy's strategy for years...

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

...and now that is rolled into a utility called rsnapshot (www.rsnapshot.org).
In this case, you would only use to rotate, though, not actually back up.

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 6:33 AM, admin extremeshok.com <
admin at extremeshok.com> wrote:

> Yes and delta backups.
>
> Ie.. full backup every week, then a delta backup every day.
>
> Thanks
>
> On 2013-05-16 01:58 PM, Fabrizio Cuseo wrote:
> > Hello people.
> >
> > I am seeing that Proxmox misses a very important features about backup
> retention.
> >
> > An example could be:
> >
> > - Last week,  N backup daily
> > - Last month, N backup weekly
> > - Last year,  N backup monthly
> >
> > So, with a total of 9 backups, I could have:
> >
> > - The last 3 daily backups
> > - The last 3 weekly backups
> > - The last 3 montly backups
> >
> > Another nice feature could be a "pool" selection of VM's to backup, so
> adding a VM in the pool will insert the VM in the backup schedule.
> >
> > Also the machine name in the backup file will be useful (i have already
> read about it in the mailing list).
> >
> > Thanks, Fabrizio

Steve Audia                          w +1(412)268-1438
Director of Information Technology      saudia at cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon                        www.etc.cmu.edu
Entertainment Technology Center                @cmuetc