[PVE-User] KVM VM on NFS worst performance.

Muhammad Yousuf Khan sirtcp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 18:21:55 CEST 2013

i am using Proxmox 2.3 for years, on RAID1 mdadm. working great.
all VMs hosted on local RAID working very fine with no issues.
but recently i started testing ZFS/NFS on OmniOS which is a great OS. but
when i started  hosting our VMs for testing on NFS share i see very very
slow network performance.

for testing i copy through shell command "scp"  on NFS mount from both
Promox and OmniOS ends which was working great.
the problem starts when i create a VM on this NFS the performer inside VM
which is windows 2003 server, copy and paste is very very slow. it is
giving me only 2% out of 1GB lancard. means copying only 2GB data in almost
30 minutes.

however, i have also got ubuntu server  and i installed virtualbox on it
for testing.i created the same setup as Proxmox and eventually i found good
speed on VM hosted by Virtualbox on same NFS share as used by Proxmox.
Virtual box machine is giving me 30 to 35% bump which is quite acceptable
for me. almost like 300Mbps to 400Mbps

would you guyz please tell me why it is happening. why i cant have same
speed as virtualbox. and even from Proxmox/Debian console  "scp" command
giving me almost 50 to 60MB which is very good i think.

any idea, please help.

Thanks,
myk