[PVE-User] Serial console

Philippe Andersson pan at iba-group.com
Tue Apr 1 09:29:31 CEST 2014

Hello Dietmar,

On 01/04/14 06:14, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> 1./ is there a different way to define this virtual hardware that would offer
>> the same functionalities while maintaining the ability to live migrate ?
>>
>> 2./ is there a plan at some point in the Proxmox roadmap to lift this limitation
>> and make this "socket" compatible with live migration ?
>
> This open a local socket. Such device will never be able to migrate correctly.
OK, understood.

> I guess you just use it as serial console?

Yes. For remote admin, serial console has our preference over the more
conventional Spice or VNC because it's lighter, requires nothing more
than an SSH client, and bypasses all the keyboard mapping issues you get
with the regular consoles.

But if it doesn't migrate, it's no use in a cluster, which is a real pity.

Any chance for a different implementation? VMware redirects to a network
socket, and this still allows for vMotion (i.e. live migration).

TIA

Cheers. Bye.

Ph. A.

--