[PVE-User] Backup size

VIDAL, Thomas (Bioversity-France) t.vidal at cgiar.org
Fri Apr 4 17:50:34 CEST 2014

Dear Gilberto and Diaolin,

Thanks for your help.
But I have only linux debian server, and this happens also with the
fresh and last one I just setting up with nothing else except the basic
filesystem (500Mo) and for this VM I set a 80G of disk, and then the
backup size is 20G !
The thing is if the disk of the VM is 32G, the backup is 17G, if the
disk of the VM is 100G the backup file size is 30G, and for these VM
there are nothing except a basic debian system (with no X)
Since I am using Proxmox I didn't change the storage (DELL MD3200i) and
the physical server ! It appeared suddendly, maybe with one update, I
don't know.

Many thanks for your help.

Have a nice week-end

Thomas

On 04/04/2014 16:53, Diaolin wrote:
> Il 2014-04-04 15:19 VIDAL, Thomas (Bioversity-France) ha scritto:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm using Proxmox version 3.2-1, and since several weeks or months
>> (but not before) backup of VMs take a long time and this is because
>> the size of each VMs backup are biggest as before.
>>

> It it is a windows filesystem just use sdelete -z D: or C:
>
> sdlete comes from sysinternals
>
> download.sysinternals.com/files/SDelete.zip
>
> that cleans unused space
>
> and with linux
> install secure-delete
>
> or better
>
> create a zero file and erase it
>
> after that you have all unused sectors clean
>
> cat /dev/zero > zero.file
> rm zero.file
>
> Take attention that before "rm" the filesystem will be 100%
>
> Ciao, Diaolin
>
> ---
> S’à destacà l’ultima föia dal bósch nét
> crodàda l’ei, solàgna, ‘n mèzz ai sàssi
> e ‘ntant fis-ciava ‘n zìfol de oseleti
> a tegnìr vìo ‘l pensér che vèn matìna
> [Diaolin]

Thomas VIDAL (t.vidal at cgiar.org)
Computer Technology Department

BANANAS BIOVERSITY
http://www.promusa.org
http://www.musanet.org

INIBAP
Parc Scientifique Agropolis II
1990 Bd de la Lironde
34980 Montferrier sur Lez - France
Tel: (33)467612907
Fax: (33)467610334
Skype : tvidal-inibap

Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

The software said "Requires Windows 2000, Windows XP, or better,..."
So I installed Linux Mint !