[PVE-User] Backup size

VIDAL, Thomas (Bioversity-France) t.vidal at cgiar.org
Mon Apr 7 09:40:29 CEST 2014

Hi all,

No changes, same size for backup. I will search other solutions. And of
course will be back if I find something.

Have a nice day.

Thomas

On 04/04/2014 18:30, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Le 04/04/2014 18:12, VIDAL, Thomas (Bioversity-France) a écrit :
>> I will try Diaolin solution with zero.file.
>> I will let you know on monday.
>>
>> Thanks in all the cases
>>
>> Thomas
>
> For information, the package zerofree handle that case better than
> filing the whole filesystem with a file.
>
> # LANG=C aptitude show zerofree
> Package: zerofree
> New: yes
> State: not installed
> Version: 1.0.2-1
>  Zerofree finds the unallocated blocks with non-zero value content in
> an ext2, ext3 or ext4 file-system and fills them with zeroes (zerofree
> can also work with another value
>  than zero). This is mostly useful if the device on which this
> file-system resides is a disk image. In this case, depending on the
> type of disk image, a secondary utility may
>  be able to reduce the size of the disk image after zerofree has been
> run. Zerofree requires the file-system to be unmounted or mounted
> read-only.
>
>  The usual way to achieve the same result (zeroing the unused blocks)
> is to run "dd" do create a file full of zeroes that takes up the
> entire free space on the drive, and then
>  delete this file. This has many disadvantages, which zerofree
> alleviates:
>  * it is slow;
>  * it makes the disk image (temporarily) grow to its maximal extent;
>  * it (temporarily) uses all free space on the disk, so other
> concurrent write actions may fail.
>
>  Zerofree has been written to be run from GNU/Linux systems installed
> as guest OSes inside a virtual machine. If this is not your case, you
> almost certainly don't need this
>  package. (One other use case would be to erase sensitive data a
> little bit more securely than with a simple "rm").
> Homepage: http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/uml/index.html

Thomas VIDAL (t.vidal at cgiar.org)
Computer Technology Department

BANANAS BIOVERSITY
http://www.promusa.org
http://www.musanet.org

INIBAP
Parc Scientifique Agropolis II
1990 Bd de la Lironde
34980 Montferrier sur Lez - France
Tel: (33)467612907
Fax: (33)467610334
Skype : tvidal-inibap

Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

The software said "Requires Windows 2000, Windows XP, or better,..."
So I installed Linux Mint !