[PVE-User] Backup to samba share stalling/locking up

Bart Lageweg | Bizway bart at bizway.nl
Mon Feb 24 09:43:13 CET 2014

Hi István,

Our limit is 6 hour, because good raid etc the impact is minimal.

Sample configuration

25 VM's on 2x Dell R515 - 4170HE H700+BBU SATA - DRBD (4x Gbit)

DRBD A - 864 GB used
Local disk - 339 GB used (backup) - QNAP NFS (offside location! 2 versions VM) - 678 GB - 5 hours

DRBD B - 758 GB used
Local disk - 334 GB used (backup) - QNAP NFS (offside location! 2 versions VM) - 668 GB - 6 hours

We also backup in the same time the OS with there own backup solution.

Because we are using DRBD, we can backup to the local disk without interrupt the VM or blocking I/O on DRDB storage.
In the past we got also a lot of locking errors QNAP/NFS/SAMBA etc. so first backup to local and then copy to the QNAP is working perfect for 2 years+

Thanks