[PVE-User] Hot resize of Windows virtio disks ?

Gilou contact+dev at gilouweb.com
Wed Jul 9 23:05:43 CEST 2014

Le 09/07/2014 21:46, Alain Péan a écrit :
> Hi Gilberto,
>
> Le 09/07/2014 21:20, Gilberto Nunes a écrit :
>> I make some research here, I seems to me that resize disk works only
>> with no-system boot disk.
>> So, with C: wouldn't work!
>
> If you read carefully the first post, and the code extract, it seems
> that it is caused by the Proxmox code in qemi.pm, that says :
> "die "you can't online resize a virtio windows bootdisk\n" "
>
> So it is explicitly forbiden by the code, even if it should be possible
> wirh Win7/8, 2008 R2/2012 (I never tried and did not verified).
> It requires some change in the code, allowing resizing for thses OSes.
>
> Alain

Hi,

To my knowledge, Win2008 (R2, at least) allows a hot resize of the
system disk, and 2012 (and R2) certainly does. But that might be related
to something else, like a compatibility issue with the virtio drivers
and hot resize ?

As far as I tested, it works nicely : Windows reports the block_resize
properly. I can't find anything recent describing any issue with that
feature on the virtio side.. So I'd say, off with the condition, let us
resize at will.

Besides, it shouldn't be Proxmox API's work to tell you that the OS
won't let you resize the disk, as it won't harm it if it can't detect
it, and can only avoid you forgetting about resizing it at the next
reboot if so..

Cheers

Gilles