[PVE-User] Fwd: Snapshot

Joel S. | VOZELIA joel at vozelia.com
Thu Jul 10 19:37:53 CEST 2014

>From https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Live_Snapshots#Requirements:

"""
Requirements

In order to use Proxmox VE live snapshots all your virtual machine disk images must be stored as qcow2 image or be in a storage that supports live snapshots and is managed by Proxmox (like Ceph’s RADOS Block Device (RBD)). Future version will support also Sheepdog or Nexenta.

Difference between LVM snapshots and Live snapshots

LVM snapshots are used for doing backups. Live snapshots are used to preserve the state of KVM virtual machine.
"""

So we are confusing "LVM Snapshots" with "Live snapshots" don't you think? :)

They both have different requirements and different goals...