[PVE-User] Use GlusterFS or Ceph for proxmox vm's...

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Wed Jul 23 16:41:06 CEST 2014

On 2014-07-22, 3:27 PM, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> Forgive me by the off topic, but I wonder if someone here can point me
> the performance difference between GlusterFS and Ceph...
> Which one is faster? Why? Some docs or websites??
> Thank you...
>
> --
> Gilberto Ferreira

I tried Gluster, both native and it's NFS implementation.  The NFS
worked great, until it didn't.  It began to fail under load.  The
Gluster native worked fine, but halved my IO.  I was doing replicate
gluster, which sends data to all (in my case 2) bricks over the same
link, essentially reducing your speed.  2 bricks in replicate, half the
speed.  3 bricks, 1/3 of the speed.

Gluster NFS replicates it's data between servers, not between client and
server, and can be off-loaded to another network link.

I settled on standard kernel NFS with DRBD to replicate the data.  I
changed the Proxmox config files to use NFSv4, and I am super happy.

Gerald