[PVE-User] Backup in snapshot mode with running sortware

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Jul 28 20:08:28 CEST 2014

You'll get what's called "crash-consistent", which means the filesystem and database both have to do a consistency check and replay or rollback their journals.
This *usually* works automatically, but many things can cause problems.
Remember that restoring a snapshot is almost exactly equivalent to pulling the plug on a server and then rebooting it (minus the risk of writing corrupt data during the handful of milliseconds the system keeps running with insufficient power)... In other words, if you kill -9'd the KVM process and restarted it, you'd be in exactly the same situation as when restoring a snapshot.
So if your software stack usually handles that kind of failure, it'll also usually handle snapshots properly.  Most systems & software do, nowadays, including ext3 and MySQL.
-Adam