[PVE-User] Newbie question

Peter Sarossy peter.sarossy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:06:01 CET 2014

Gilberto,

I believe I have a similar setup as yours (only have 1 public IP assigned
to router instance running in KVM).
Make sure that your hardware node is not accessible from the public
address, only the router/firewall should have the private address or you
open up a security nightmare. As long as you have out of band access (iLo,
DRAC etc) the hardware node should be only reachable from the NATed
internal network (ie. a bastion host you log into first), and it should
have access to the internet though the router/firewall instance.

Also 172.172.10.254 is not within the RFC1918 range (it's actually an AOL
address that is assigned), so if that's supposed to be an internal network,
make sure to use one within the correct range:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Gilberto Nunes
<gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks guys...
>
> I will change the configuration... As I said, "newbie question"...
>
> Thanks a lot

> Le 06/03/2014 19:29, Gilberto Nunes a écrit :
>>
>>  I am using PVE here and host has two NIC, one for LAN and one for WAN,
>>> like that:
>>>
>>> eth0 - 172.172.10.5
>>>
>>> eth1 - 200.201.299.299 -------- > THAT'S THE WAN CONNECTION
>>>

>>> Ok...
>>>
>>> Now I install a VM under PVE that is a Firewall...
>>>
>>> And this Firewall has two nic too...
>>>
>>> Like that:
>>>
>>> eth0 - 172.172.10.254
>>>
>>> eth1 - 200.201.299.299 --------------> THAT'S THE WAN CONNECTION
>>>
>>> As you can see, I set the IP for eth1 twice: one for Proxmox Host and
>>> one for VM host...
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is a good practice...
>>>
>>> What the adviced for that??
>>>

>> No, that's a bat idea, as said previously  by Gerald. You only need to
>> assign an IP address to a NIC if you want to have access to your proxmox
>> server using this address. That's good for eth0, it is your LAN, the one
>> you use to manage your Proxmox server. But I don't think you plan to access
>> your server from the WAN, that is Internet ? That would be a big securuty
>> risk...
>>
>> You don't need any IP address on eth1. Just create a new bridge, vmbr1,
>> and assign it to eth1. Then your VM can have the IP address 200.201.249.249
>> (299 is not an allowed value for an IP), and you connect the second NIC of
>> your VM (its eth1) to this bridge, and the first to vmbr0 (that is eth0 of
>> the server).
>> Just give your VM eth1 network parameters with as gateway the IP of your
>> router for the WAN, and make sure it is accessible on your switch (VLAN
>> perhaps...) to eth1 (server).
>>
>> But I am not sure it is a good idea to use a VM as a firewall. You want
>> to protect your LAN ? Where is your router ? Your firewall should be
>> between your router and the WAN.
>>
>> Alain

> --
> Gilberto Ferreira