[PVE-User] ZVOL question / confusion.

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 23:33:43 CET 2015

Hi Muhammad,

This should clear up things a bit (taken from Oracle ZFS Admin guide):

"A clone is a writable volume or file system whose initial contents are
the same as the dataset from which it was created. As with snapshots,
creating a clone is nearly instantaneous and initially consumes no
additional disk space. In addition, you can snapshot a clone.

Clones can only be created from a snapshot. When a snapshot is cloned,
an implicit dependency is created between the clone and snapshot. Even
though the clone is created somewhere else in the dataset hierarchy, the
original snapshot cannot be destroyed as long as the clone exists."

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18752_01/html/819-5461/gbcxz.html

Regards,
Yannis