[PVE-User] Best configuration among these

Philippe Schwarz phil at schwarz-fr.net
Thu Feb 5 12:04:02 CET 2015

Le 05/02/2015 10:59, Eneko Lacunza a écrit :
> Hi Philippe,
>
> You email is quite dense, so I'll try to help with what I have
> understood.
>
> I don't know the Dell/HP disk enclosures in regard to their ability
> for HA, but I think you're spending a lot to get a Proxmox HA
> cluster, but if the storage fails (FreeNAS node), then that effort
> won't help.
>
> Have you considered some HA storage like RBD/Ceph?
>
> Also, my experience with Dell (PERC H200, H310, H710) is that
> non-certified disks work, but OMSA won't be happy. It works like a
> charm.
>
> Regarding the proxy server, maybe more RAM for that VM could help
> with the high IO...
>
> Cheers

Hi Eneko,
thanks for your answer.

SPOF :

I'm aware that the Single Point Of Failure of the shared storage might
be an issue.
But, i' can't afford to spend more money into a second storage server.

About drbd,ceph.
I'm used to zfs, not to ceph. I wouldn't put my main storage system
under an probably-good-but-unknown-to-me FS.

And, isn't drbd limited to 2 nodes ? I found links to use it with 3
nodes, but it sounded very complex, using drbd over drbd over FS...

I may use drbd to replicate FS over 2 nodes inside a 3-nodes Proxmox
cluster...

According to the vendors, the DAS disk bay is quite indestructible...
I'm too old in IT to trust this guy ;-)

Disks:

Thanks for non-certified disks, i'll be more confident about that.
entreprise grade SSD from dell or HP are so expensive; nearly 8 times
the price per GB..
May be better , but i can't afford it!

Best regrds