[PVE-User] Installation question

Michael Doerner - TechnologyWise michael at tw.co.nz
Sat Feb 21 22:53:45 CET 2015

Hi

we use Proxmox for "small" server installations where we need a Linux VM
(for most of the requirements) and usually a small Windows VM (Win7) for
remote (RDP) access. These servers have local storage and we usually
have a hardware RAID controller (RAID1) for the data and would like the
Proxmox OS to be separated on a SSD.

We have not been able to use a standard Proxmox install to select to
install the OS onto SSD when the RAID controller is connected at
installation time. Our workaround is to have the controller disconnected
and then later to format the RAID array manually and then to link this
as "pve_data". A bit ugly I find.

I would love to start using ZFS for a low end installation rather having
to use a hardware RAID controller. A firs test with a new Proxmox 3.4
installation CD seems to show the same result. It seems we would have to
install with SSD attached only and then manually to create the ZFS pool
at a later stage.

Am I looking at this wrongly? Is this considered a bad approach or is
our view to separate OS and data wrong? Would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Michael