[PVE-User] Open vSwitch with multiple VLANs

Sten Aus sten.aus at eenet.ee
Fri Jan 23 13:47:30 CET 2015

Hi guys and girls!

Is someone using open vSwitch (ovs) with multiple VLANs? How is your
VM-s configured?
Let's say that on Proxmox host I have created bridge *vmbr0* (for LAN
communication) and *vmbr1* (for Internet). *And there should be 5 VLANs
on vmbr0.*

Do you need to give VM two network adapters - one connected to vmbr0 and
other one to vmbr1 and then when you configure VM network interfaces,
then you say that on eth0 (which is connected to vmbr0) there are vlans
10, 20, 30 and 40, 50 for example.

So, for Debian an very simple example would be:
eth0.10
eth0.20
eth0.30
eth0.40
eth0.50

Right now I am using Linux bridge and VLANs are made in Proxmox host and
VM-s get multiple ethernet adapters, resulting in Debian conf:
eth0
eth1
eth2
eth3
eth4
So, all vmbrs (vmbr10, vmbr20, vmbr30, vmbr40 and vmbr50) are connected
to VLANs on Proxmox host and are being used in VMs and as far as I know,
I can't connect one physical Proxmox host port (eth0) to multiple ovs
bridges.
That means I can't leave my VMs configuration like that, is that right?

Hope someone can share his/her experience on this Open vSwitch topic!

All the best
Sten