[PVE-User] DRBD & Proxmox scenario

Gilou contact+dev at gilouweb.com
Mon Mar 9 18:33:36 CET 2015

Hi,

I've been reading all the documentation about Proxmox & DRBD, and I have
questions for those who might have deployed such a setup.

The idea is to run 3 nodes on similar hardware, and to begin, host the
disks on 2 of the nodes using drbd.

The wiki reference here is the most extensive info:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD

Which seems to point at the idea of having 2 LVs, one for each node to
host the VMs that will "mostly be on the node", and let drbd do its
magic as single primary setup.

It seems that the current way of doing things. I'm not too much a fan of
this idea, as it makes the nodes more "powerful" than they should be in
a cluster. If this is still "how things are done", so be it.

So how to go for dual primary setup? It seems GlusterFS & OCFS2 aren't
really neatly supported, but without a clustered filesystem, what to do?

Ceph doesn't seem any more ready for show time, and it doesn't seem like
a good idea to run it off proxmox nodes atm?

I only dealt with storage outside of Proxmox until now (using drbd,
btw), but I have a case where I'd like to avoid having to put on a
separate setup for it, and am left wondering.

Cheers,

Gilou