[PVE-User] IP / MacAddress restriction for QEMU

Leslie-Alexandre DENIS infoslad at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 21:15:09 CET 2015

Hello,

personally I use one bridge per VM and add a route to the IP's VM using
the latter. Under Debian the route can be added automatically after the
up of the interface with configuration like this :

auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet static

address<main host ip>

netmask255.255.255.255

bridge_ports none

bridge_stp off

bridge_fd 0

up ip route add <additional ip>/32 dev vmbr0

up ip route add <another additional ip>/32 dev vmbr0

As far as I know you can reuse the host's IP (main IP of the Proxmox
node) on every bridge (vmbrX).

This setup ensures that the traffic will be routed to the correct VM,
even if the client changes the IP configuration inside the machine. If
he does so, the machine won't be routed so unavailable.

That's it, I'll be very pleased to enhance this setup because I think
it's a major feature for a virtualization host.

Regards,