[PVE-User] DRBD & Proxmox scenario

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Tue Mar 10 08:36:52 CET 2015

Hi,

On 09/03/15 18:33, Gilou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading all the documentation about Proxmox & DRBD, and I have
> questions for those who might have deployed such a setup.
>
> The idea is to run 3 nodes on similar hardware, and to begin, host the
> disks on 2 of the nodes using drbd.
>
> The wiki reference here is the most extensive info:
> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD
>
> Which seems to point at the idea of having 2 LVs, one for each node to
> host the VMs that will "mostly be on the node", and let drbd do its
> magic as single primary setup.
>
> It seems that the current way of doing things. I'm not too much a fan of
> this idea, as it makes the nodes more "powerful" than they should be in
> a cluster. If this is still "how things are done", so be it.
>
> So how to go for dual primary setup? It seems GlusterFS & OCFS2 aren't
> really neatly supported, but without a clustered filesystem, what to do?
I suggest you consider using LVM type storage. Use for underlaying
storage (PV) the DRBD metadevice. This way you don't need any cluster
filesystem, only CLVM which is included with Proxmox.

> Ceph doesn't seem any more ready for show time, and it doesn't seem like
> a good idea to run it off proxmox nodes atm?
>
> I only dealt with storage outside of Proxmox until now (using drbd,
> btw), but I have a case where I'd like to avoid having to put on a
> separate setup for it, and am left wondering.

I have 3 production clusters right now with Ceph Storage (managed with
Proxmox). They are quite tiny and this is not the ideal case for Ceph,
but with some tuning and care they are working great!

Cheers
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico