[PVE-User] problem adding a graphics driver

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 05:20:51 CET 2015

On 26 March 2015 at 09:05, David Rice <David.Rice at imaginelearning.com>
wrote:

> When I look at the Display Adapters installed in the Windows 7 VM it says
> I have:
>  Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
>  VNC Mirror Driver
>
>  When I try to update the Display driver(
> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24329/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-7-8-8-1-64-bit)
>  first to Intel HD Graphics 4600 it gives me the following error:
>  This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the
> software.

Unless you are using PCI passthrough (a different subject altogether and
quite tricky), then your VM's virtual hardware is quite unrelated to the
physical hardware it is running on.

By default its just a simple emulated VGA card. If you want ok video
performance that scales to decent resolutions then you need to use the
Spice Virtual Hardware and drivers.

- Shut the VM down

>From the Proxmox Web InterfaceI:
- Edit its Display in the Hardware Tab
- Set it to SPICE (Qxl)
- Start the VM

In the VM itself, install the Spice Guest Tools
-
http://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-guest-tools/spice-guest-tools-0.74.exe
- Reboot VM is Required

To *view* the VM's console, use the spice remote-viewer. That depends on
what client system you are using to view the VM. For windows use the
virt-viewer MSI available here:
 - http://virt-manager.org/download/

ignore the virt-manager stuff.

Remote Viewer and SPICE support nice things like dynamic resizing of the VM
console. USB devices can be passed trhough.

Caveats:
- You'll never get game quality performance via spice, for that you'll
probably need to do PCI passthrough of the host video card. Personally I
wouldn't bother with that.

An alternative to using SPICE  onto a windows vm is to just use remote
desktop (RDP), that works very well, but you do need to know the
hostname/ip address of the VM.

--
Lindsay