[PVE-User] Replacing OSD disks with SSD journal

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Thu May 21 17:49:31 CEST 2015

Hi all,

In our PVE 3.4 cluster, we found a OSD disk was having quite a high
amount of errors as reported by SMART, and also quite high wait time as
reported by munin, so we decided to replace it.

What I have done is down/out the osd, then remove it (removing
partitions). Replace the disk and create a new OSD, which was created
with the same ID as the removed one (as I was hoping to not change CRUSH
map).

So everything has worked as expected, except one minor non-issue:
- Original OSD journal was on a separate SSD disk, with partitions #1
and #2.
- Original journal partition (#1) was removed
- A new partition has been created as #1, but has been assigned space
after the last existing partition. So there is now hole of 5GB in the
beginning of SSD disk.

What I'm afraid is that given enough OSD replacements, Proxmox wouldn't
find free space for new journals in that SSD disk? Although there would
be plenty in the beginning?

Maybe the journal-partition creation can be improved so that it can
detect free space also in the beginning and between existing partitions?

Cheers
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico