[PVE-User] Simultaneous API call

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Sat Feb 13 12:36:26 CET 2016

Hi,

Al 13.02.2016 a 11:38 Mohamed Sadok Ben Jazia ha scritto:
> Hello, to describe my purpose, i'm supposed to create a commercial
> plateform for providing IAAS and PAAS using proxmox. For this
> step, i'm planning to develop a full API for third pary users, the
> development will be done in PHP as start. The API will contain 3
> main parts (clustering and managing hosts and nodes, Actions on
> CT's and VM's, Authorisations handling)

A ReST API to another ReST API, interesting. :)
Be sure to respect the licence from the (PHP) API binding you're
using, avoiding legal trouble is always good, I guess.

> The issue i'm facing here happens when i run simultaneous API call
> to create CT's on the same host because i'm using call-to-nextid()
> that returns the same id. I think semaphores or mutex are not a
> good options because once not well implemented, i will have
> deadlocks which is worst than simple error.

Can you please describe to me what I my proposed implementation can
result in a deadlock? AFAIK, solutions which are using only one (!)
lock are deadlock safe per definition, there is no possibility to
cause a deadlock in this case and if you're using more locks only be
sure to acquire and release them all (!) in the same order and your
good to go. You normally only get deadlocks when at least two
resources (i.e. locks) are wanted and multiple consumers (i.e.
processes/API callers) are running.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock

> I simply think to implement call-to-nextid() myself and get a list
> of used id's and add a random number for security but it's not a
> perfect choice.

That's not "added security", further you also will come into
collisions with this approach as random is random.

I'm hoping you don't take this answer as an insult/attack as I'm quite
direct, I only want to set a few things straight and help you to
understand why I proposed such a solution.

I'm thinking also about making a patch which adds another parameter to
the create Container and Virtual Machine API calls, which results in
auto selecting a free VMID when creating one and returning that when
finished.
This seems as an usable "feature" for other use cases then yours also,
but no promise yet, we have to look if it fits in our concept.

cheers,
Thomas