[PVE-User] Error when took Snapshot...

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Mon Jan 25 07:45:50 CET 2016

Hi,

On 23.01.2016 19:05, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> Hi list
> I have a big VM file, with 2 TB of size...
> The VM is hosted in GlusterFS server, with Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
> (GNU/Linux 4.3.0-040300-lowlatency x86_64), act as a server...
> Between PVE and Ubuntu server, I have bond interface network, with 3 x
> 1 G of bandwidth, set with balance_rr mode.
> Both machines are Dell PowerEdge R420, if I correctly remmember...
> Everytime I attempt take a snapshot, I get this erro:
> Formatting
> 'gluster://storage100/storage/images/120/vm-120-state-antes_aplicar_patch_23_Jan_2016.raw',
> fmt=raw size=69243764736
> VM 120 qmp command 'savevm-end' failed - unable to connect to VM 120
> qmp socket - timeout after 5986 retries TASK ERROR: VM 120 qmp command
> 'query-savevm' failed - received interrupt
I see that your disk is in 'raw' format, on glusterFS we currently only
support snapshots on disks in qcow2/qed format. I know that on glusterFS
you can create snapshot also on storage level (which would be needed in
the case of a raw disk), _BUT ONLY_ if the glusterFS bricks are already
on LVMThin and also then you can 'only' snapshot whole volumes... If you
really need snapshots you could convert the disk to qcow2. qcow2 is not
performing that bad and as of today but you have to know that for some
workloads it maybe noticeable less performing than raw. You have to test
and see if it suits your needs.
> And, of course, I am completely unable to take snapshot...
> Something that I can do to avoid that error??
Error looks a bit strange, though, how do other VMs behave?