[PVE-User] Ceph + ZFS?

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Thu Jun 2 11:55:39 CEST 2016

Hi Jeremy,

El 01/06/16 a las 22:10, Jeremy McCoy escribió:
> I am new here and am working on designing a Proxmox cluster. Just wondering if
> anyone has tried doing Ceph on ZFS (instead of XFS on LVM or whatever pveceph
> sets up) and, if so, how you went about implementing it. I have 4 hosts that
> each have 1 spinner and 1 SSD to offer to the cluster.
>
> Are there any pitfalls to be aware of here? My goal is to mainly run LXC
> containers (plus a few KVM VMs) on distributed storage, and I was hoping to take
> advantage of ZFS's caching, compression, and data integrity features. I am also
> open to doing GlusterFS or something else, but it looked like Proxmox does not
> support LXC containers running on that yet.

Ceph upstream doesn't test Ceph with ZFS, so just don't do it.

I see also that Lindsay told you small ceph setups don't give good
performance; don't know about his experience, but mine is quite good. We
have 4 3-node clusters (with 3-10 VMs) with ceph and are very happy with
the performance. It is very important to choose the right SSD for the
journal.

Cheers
Eneko

--