[PVE-User] New Proxmox cluster

Edgardo Ghibaudo edgardo.ghibaudo at provincia.biella.it
Mon Jun 6 09:40:31 CEST 2016

Il 03/06/2016 17:05, Dmitry Petuhov ha scritto:
> 03.06.2016 17:19, Lutz Willek wrote:
>>> Creating VM is it correct to keep on the SAN iSCSI LUN both the qcow2
>>> file of the OS and the qcow2 files of the DATA.
>>> Or it is better to keep the qcow2 file of the OS in the local
>>> /var/lib/vz ...
>> Maybe I dont understand you correctly, but qcow2 is not possible with SAN.
>> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model
> Not quite. There's some cluster-aware filesystems like gfs2 or ocfs2, which can run over shared storage, including SAN, supporting not-raw images.
> I didn't seen official manuals for such setups, but googling for "proxmox iscsi gfs2" may give some hints.
>
> Storing images on local (or any other not shared) storage will break live-migration and HA, so it's better to store all VM images on shared storage, if you can.

Hello Lutz,

I always created VMs using QEMU image format (qcow2) and I converted
some VMs from VMware using "qemu-image convert" selecting always qcow2.
If I correctly understood, before to migrate the VMs to the new SAN
iSCSI environment, I need to convert all the VMs from qcow2 to Raw disk
image and also for the VMware VMs vmdk I need to use "qemu-image
convert" selecting always Raw disk image.
Following the document http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model, in the
_LVM Groups with Network Backing section_:
after the definition of the Volume Group Name on the LUN, Proxmox see in
the Storage of the Datacenter the Volume Group.
How can create different Logical Volumes using EXT3 or EXT4 file systems
in the Proxmox Volume Group ?
In the Storage type Content section is reported the following:
SCSI <http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=iscsi&go=Go>:
this storage is either used directly (Note: this can be dangerous, see
further down), or as a base to define local LVM storage entries (see
further down), or as ZFS, it needs a portal address and a target ID
What does it means ? Only ZFS over iSCSI ...

Thanks, Edgardo