[PVE-User] about IO Delay using openvz and zimbra

Orlando Martinez Bao ombao at unah.edu.cu
Fri Jun 17 04:38:14 CEST 2016

Hello friends

I am SysAdmin at the Agrarian University of Havana, Cuba.

I have installed Proxmox v3.4 here a cluster of seven nodes and for some
days I am having problems with a node in the cluster which only has a
Container with Zimbra 8.

The problem is I'm having a lot of I / O Delay and that server is very slow
to the point that sometimes the service is down.

The server is PowerEdge T320 Dell with Intel Xeon E5-2420 12gram with 12
cores and 1GB of disk 7200RPM 2xHDD are configured as RAID1.

I have virtualizing the zimbra 8 using a template of 12.04, has 8 cores, 8G
RAM, 500GHD the storage of container is local storage.

Then I put the output to see the IO when you are not running the VM. Look at
the BUFFERED READS that are marked are very bad. And those moments have seen
IO Delay up to 50%.

root at n07:~# pveperf

CPU BOGOMIPS:      45601.20

REGEX/SECOND:      1025079

HD SIZE:           9.84 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)

BUFFERED READS:    1.51 MB/sec

AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 165.88 ms

FSYNCS/SECOND:     0.40

DNS EXT:           206.20 ms

DNS INT:           0.91 ms (unah.edu.cu)

root at n07:~# pveperf

CPU BOGOMIPS:      45601.20

REGEX/SECOND:      1048361

HD SIZE:           9.84 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)

BUFFERED READS:    0.78 MB/sec

AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 283.84 ms

FSYNCS/SECOND:     0.50

DNS EXT:           206.13 ms

DNS INT:           0.89 ms (unah.edu.cu)

root at n07:~# pveperf (Este fue cuando detuve la VM)

CPU BOGOMIPS:      45601.20

REGEX/SECOND:      1073712

HD SIZE:           9.84 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)

BUFFERED READS:    113.04 MB/sec

AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 13.49 ms

FSYNCS/SECOND:     9.66

DNS EXT:           198.59 ms

DNS INT:           0.86 ms (unah.edu.cu)

root at n07:~# pveperf

CPU BOGOMIPS:      45601.20

REGEX/SECOND:      1024213

HD SIZE:           9.84 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)

BUFFERED READS:    164.30 MB/sec

AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 13.61 ms

FSYNCS/SECOND:     16.34

DNS EXT:           234.75 ms

DNS INT:           0.94 ms (unah.edu.cu)

Please help me.

Best Regards

Orlando