[PVE-User] HA question

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Oct 5 17:01:23 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 05.10.2016 14:43, mj wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On 10/05/2016 02:25 PM, Kevin Lemonnier wrote:
>> Just as it's weird and very very annoying that you can't "Stop" a VM
>> when HA is enabled. If you click on "Stop", it actually tries to do a
>> shutdown on it, and only does an actual stop after that times out.
>> So much time lost waiting for this to timeout .. I now remove the VM
>> from HA, stop it, then enable it again.
>
> Ah this explains what we are seeing here as well. We didn't understand why sometimes the stop button simply seems to be ignored...

Our reason for this is that a HA enabled service should be *cleanly* shutdown.
Stopping a VM is like pulling the power cord out, which can be bad :)
We can re evaluate that. For us HA managed service are thought for service
which have to run and do that always.
"Killing" them often seems not very highly available, gracefully shutting them
down for maintenance or such things seems more correct, or am I missing
something here?