[PVE-User] HA question

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Thu Oct 6 09:08:41 CEST 2016

> He wanted to remove it from HA managed but said to HA it should be
> stopped, nothing to do with the stop/shutdown button confusion :)

Yeah sorry about that, I hijacked this thread with my somewhat un-related
complaint, that's my bad :).

The HA enable / disable is a bit confusing, it just doesn't work as you'd
expect. Now that I used HA a lot more I get it, but it's a bit of a trap
when you are starting with HA, just like the fact that only one task can
be carried out at the same time on HA enabled VMs. I understood that only
a few weeks ago when gluster froze a VM and that stuck HA on a task forever,
took me a while to understand why I couldn't do anything about all of the
other VMs.
Or why on some VMs the live migration has an output and for others it doesn't,
it's because for HA enabled VM you just add a task, the output is in a separate
task.

Maybe it'd be good to add a visual hint about that, you aren't actually
stoping, starting or migrating a VM, you are just adding a task for the HA to
carry out later, and that's where you should look to see the output ? Same thing
in HA, the enable / disable tick box could maybe be labelled "keep powered on" or
something similar ?

--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111