[PVE-User] Ceph Cache Tiering

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Oct 10 18:05:31 CEST 2016

Hi,

The choice of filesystem is not "largely irrelevant"; filesystems are
quite complex and the choice is relevant. With ZFS, you're in unknown
territory AFAIK as it is not regularly tested in ceph development; I
think only ext4 and XFS are regularly tested. And there are known
limits/problems with ext4 for example, and seems that also apply to
zfsonlinux (I think ext4 has lower limit yet):
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/4913

Also no word about ZFS in recommendations:
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/rados/configuration/filesystem-recommendations/

It can be done? Yes - Lindsay is doing it successfully.

Is it advisable? - I don't think so. :-)

Anyway it seems they're getting rid of the filesystem in the near future
with bluestore ;)

Cheers
Eneko