[PVE-User] LV Not Available - could not open disk - no such file or directory

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 12:57:01 CEST 2016

On 01/09/16 12:19, John Crisp wrote:

>> But John wrote:
>>
>>> There was an issue with the BBWC on the RAID
>>
>> So it is likely that more than this is damaged (what happened exactly?)...
>>

> Extremely unlikely.

Hmmm... well after further investigation we don't think it was the BBWC
issue. It seems that the engineers went above and beyond the call of duty.

The initial problem reported was that df -h didn't show the 5.45 Tb
expected. The user who checked did not realise that thin volumes do not
show up like that.

So the engineers went to look for the 'missing' disk space, found the
BBWC was bad, replaced it and then decided to do some investigations on
where the missing space was.

Just found this in the bash history... my guess the volume is toast....
any suggestions welcome !

B. rgds
John

mount /dev/mapper/pve-data /mnt
fsck /dev/mapper/pve-data
lvchange --help
lvchange --resync
lvchange --resync /dev/mapper/pve-data
lvchange -t /dev/mapper/pve-data
lvchange -a /dev/mapper/pve-data --metadataprofile
/dev/mapper/pve-data_rmeta
lvchange -a pve-data --metadataprofile /dev/mapper/pve-data_rmeta
ls -a /dev/mapper/
ls -la /dev/mapper/
lvchange -a pve-data --metadataprofile /dev/mapper/pve-data_tmeta
dmesg | grep lv
dmesg | grep data
fsck /dm-5
pvscan
vgchange -ay pve
vgcfgrestore pve
lsblk -o
lvdisplay | grep UUID
lsblk -o nEYeJ4-J9R9-cWBm-GMMo-AkRr-4kqx-t7WsuW
lsblk -o +nEYeJ4-J9R9-cWBm-GMMo-AkRr-4kqx-t7WsuW
lsblk -o +uuid
mount /dev/mapper/pve-data-tpool /mnt
mount /dev/mapper/pve-data-tpool /mnt -f
ls /mnt
df -h
mount
umount /mnt
umount /dev/mapper/pve-data-tpool
reboot
thin_dump --repair /dev/mapper/pve-data_tmeta
lsblk -o
lsblk -o +uuid
lvchange -ay
lvchange -ay pve