[PVE-User] LV Not Available - could not open disk - no such file or directory

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 14:03:01 CEST 2016

On 01/09/16 13:27, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> What is worrying is
>>
>> a) there is no effective way to back up a VM if you cannot mount the
>> partition
>
> The basic idea of backup is that you do the backup "before" you have
> a data loss ...

Yes, very droll ROFL.....

I should really have said there is no way to 'access' the KVM rather
than 'backup'

> You can still copy the whole disk and then try to do the
> restore your data with that copy (I would not touch the original disks).

Yup, I can see that would be a possibility, if you could get to the
disks easily a 1000 miles away buried in a data centre.... :-)

The problem is if the lvm-thin takes up ALL your available space you
cannot backup to 'local' (easily accessible) storage, even if you wanted
to with said VM running.

And a snapshot on the lvm-thin partition woudl be inaccessible and you
would be in the same place.

So no access to VMs and no access to backups/snapshots

I was wondering if there should either be some different
defaults/choices for single servers, or some warnings of the consequences ?

B. Rgds
John