[PVE-User] LV Not Available - could not open disk - no such file or directory

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 18:19:40 CEST 2016

On 01/09/16 16:38, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>>> restore your data with that copy (I would not touch the original disks).
>>>

>> Yup, I can see that would be a possibility, if you could get to the
>> disks easily a 1000 miles away buried in a data centre.... :-)
>
> Maybe the can put a another disk into the server?

A very worthy suggestion thank you, though I have no idea of the
capacity of this particular server - I believe it currently has a 12 x
1Gb drive 10 RAID array.

Still doesn't overcome the issue with 'local' storage for backups (if
you aren't fully aware of the issues with lvm-thin)

I still think that for at least single server installs lvm-thin is not
necessarily the best default option, and there should possibly be more
warning for some to RTFM before hitting go for a default install.

(Note this was not my server and I was not involved in the setup - I was
just asked to look in later when the damage was already done ! On my own
servers I had purposely chosen not to use lvm-thin after reading about it)

I did notice a number of posts in the forums where people were
struggling with similar issues, so clearly I'm not alone in these thoughts.

Many thanks for all your suggestions and a great product nonetheless
(and I am a paying supporter :-) )

B. Rgds
John