[PVE-User] Restoring VM on ZFS-thin storage

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 10:14:51 CEST 2016

Can't answer directly your question since I'm not aware of PVE backup
internals however as a workaround you could try to:

If your zfs volumes (where vms reside) have compression enabled, you could
reclaim unused space by:
- running sdelete on windows vms
- creating a zero filled file via dd on linux and then deleting it.

Zfs compression should do its job after that.

On Monday, 12 September 2016, Mikhail <m at plus-plus.su> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Right now I'm moving virtual machines from old 3.x node (storage model:
> LVM) to new 4.x node. The new node has ZFS RAID10 setup over 4x4TB local
> disks. My storage for virtual machines has ZFS Thin Provisioning enabled
> and it actually works for newly created virtual machines - in other
> words I can give 100GB disk to machine, and only actually used space
> will be taken from available ZFS pool.
>
> This, however, does not work for restored from backups virtual machines.
> I'm doing simple backup-restore procedure (backup on 3.x node and
> restore on 4.x node to ZFS), and what I see is that if there's 100GB
> disk in backup then it takes 100GB on restore (even thought actually
> there's only 5GB used). Does that mean I won't be able to take advantage
> of ZFS Thin Provisioning when restoring vms from backups?
>
> regards,

Sent from Gmail Mobile