[PVE-User] Ceph and cold bootstrap...

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Fri Sep 16 14:02:56 CEST 2016

We've observed that if any of the nodes boot much faster or slower than the other nodes, this causes big problems with both CEPH and PVE, particularly with quorum issues.
I've just finished switching a 9-node cluster to NFS because CEPH was too unreliable after repeated power failure crashes.
Turns out powering off the last few nodes is hard because they've lost quorum by that point and hang during shutdown for longer than the UPSes last.
Unless you have redundant power (I.e. generator) I'm not sure I would ever recommend a large PVE+CEPH cluster again.
-Adam