[PVE-User] Removing 2 VMs at the same time

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Mon Sep 26 14:02:35 CEST 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:52:04AM +0200, Florent B wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I remove 2 VMs via GUI, when the first one is not finished
> destroying, I have this error on the second :
>
> trying to aquire cfs lock 'storage-PVE01-RBD03' ...TASK ERROR: got lock
> request timeout
>
> This is a RBD storage. Why PVE needs to acquire a lock on the storage ?
> Both deletion can be done at the same time.
>
> Thank you.

this is a general safe guard when deleting VM/container images..

we run some checks before actually deleting the image, and during those
checks and the deletion we don't want other PVE processes to create new
images on that storage (to prevent name collisions, race conditions
for linked clone checks, ..).