[PVE-User] Question: Blacklist modules

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Aug 22 14:58:05 CEST 2017

Hi,

On 08/22/2017 02:27 PM, Nils Privat wrote:
> Hello,
> just a question: How do i properly blacklist a module? I found three
> possible ways.
>
> A) On the internet i often read to create a file with the module name in
> '/etc/modprobe.d'.... so for e.g. 'etc/modprobe.d/bbbridge.conf' and write
> into 'blacklist ddbrigde'
>
> B) One proxmox wiki entry suggests to just put the 'blacklist ddbrigde' or
> whatever module you want to blacklist into '/etc/modprobe.de/blacklist.conf'.
> But after fresh installation of proxmox5 the file doesnt exists (
> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough)
>
> C) Put the 'blacklist ddbridge' into '/etc/modprobe.de/pve-blacklist.conf'
> because that file already exists and already have one blacklisted module.
>
> So are all ways possible? If B) is not recommended, we should update the
> wiki to use C) ?

Yes, all three ways are valid, from the view of modprobe. Every file from
the /etc/modprobe.d directory which ends with ".conf" will be read and applied,
the name of the file is not relevant.
It is just convention to group similar stuff together, and not mix different
entry types (e.g. "blacklist" with "options").

See:
# man modprobe.d
for more information.

BUT, /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf is written or owned by tour pve-manager
package, so you should not use it. It could get overwritten on updates if
the package changes it, you get asked if you want to overwrite it but is
nonetheless a nuisance.

So I'd avoid C) and do not adapt the wiki.

cheers,
Thomas