[PVE-User] preseeding PVE installation

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Wed Jan 4 13:24:49 CET 2017

On 01/04/2017 12:27 PM, Vadim Bulst wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'd like to preseed / automate the PVE-installation with Foreman. I'm
> following the howto to install PVE on Debian Jessie (
> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie ) . My
> question is about partition layout. The first two disks should be
> assembled to a software-raid and used to hold the regular PVE setup. I'm
> able to create this layout but I don't see any option to assign a
> specific VolumeGroup-Name. Is it really necessary to have "pve" as the
> VG-name?  Am I free to create my own partition layout?

Hello Vadim

No, you don't need to have the 'pve' string in the volume group. After
the default storage you will have is a directory pointing to /var/lib/vz.
If you want to add extra volume groups, you will need to add them via
pvesm or the GUI.

As a side note, please be aware that we don't recommend installation
with software raid (dm-raid), as we had multiple users reporting data
corruption with this kind of setup.