[PVE-User] DHCP on bridge interface

Vadim Bulst vadim.bulst at bbz.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Jan 24 07:50:28 CET 2017

Hi there,

I'd like to use DHCP-Address configation on my bridged network interfaces

/etc/network/interfaces which i'd like to use:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth4 inet manual

iface eth5 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
         slaves eth4 eth5
         bond_miimon 100
         bond_mode 802.3ad
         mtu 9100

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
                bridge_ports bond0
                bridge_stp off
                bridge_fd 0
                bridge_vlan_aware yes

When i reboot the server all options of the bridge are gone ( commented
out ) and no address lease is received. Even if i put this config to
/etc/network/interfaces.new . In the Debian-Wiki it is written that it
should be possible to configure a bridge using dhcp:

https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections :

"

  # The loopback network interface
  auto lo br0
  iface lo inet loopback

  # Set up interfaces manually, avoiding conflicts with, e.g., network manager
  iface eth0 inet manual

  iface eth1 inet manual

  # Bridge setup
  iface br0 inet dhcp
     bridge_ports eth0 eth1

"

Our Cisco-Engineer wants to keep the switch configuration flexible in
terms of MTU. That's why we'd like to use dhcp on the bridging interfaces.

Any suggestions to this phenomena?

Cheers,

Vadim